While our jewellery is designed and made to be worn everyday it is important to take good care of it in order to reduce damage and keep it looking its best.
Gemstones attract grease and dirt very easily and need regular cleaning to maintain their beauty.
You can polish your ring with a soft cotton cloth (like the kind you get with your sunnies – a clean one please!). Gemstones can be cleaned using warm water, a teeny drop of dish soap and a soft toothbrush. (a couple of times a month). Make sure to brush up under the stone setting as this is a place that often collects grease and soap build up.
Wear and tear
Gold is a relatively soft metal and because of this if can scratch or dent easily and can tarnish when in contact with some chemicals. Gemstones have a certain hardness but can still chip and scratch if hit by force at the wrong angle. For this reason it is important to consider how and when you wear your jewellery.
It is best to remove your ring when:
- Showering or bathing
- Applying cosmetic products or perfumes
- Exercising, especially at the gym. Fine jewellery can be easily damaged by contact with weights or gym machinery, as well as by heat and pressure such as during yoga practise. Keep it safe and take it off.
- Cooking, washing up, cleaning
- Doing any hands on work, where your jewellery is exposed to chemicals or force
Jewellery requires semi regular maintenance checks to ensure that it has no damage and that all stones are still secure in their settings. You’re welcome to make and appointment for us to check your ring and make sure that it all the stones are safe.
After taking off your jewellery it is important to store it correctly to reduce damage and loss.
- Store rings separately as they can scratch each other
- Rings can be stored in their boxes or pouches
- Jewellery boxes with individual compartments are a beautiful and functional way to store jewellery
- Don’t leave your rings loose on a bedside table as it is easy to knock them off where they could be damaged or lost
- For extra security investing in a small safe to store your jewellery in is a great idea
For more detailed information in regards to care please view the GIA Diamond Care and Cleaning Guide.